Monday 10 December 2007

Hardware hoarders competition on ComputerWeekly.com


ComputerWeekly.com has had a bit of a re-boot (as it were) and I'm impressed with the imagination behind their new competition idea - Hardware Hoarders - the search to find the oldest bit of computer kit still in use.

The competition has the potential to be rather engaging, I think. I'm not much interested in hardware (although I am now regretting getting rid of my Amstrad Wordprocessor. Oh, hang on, no I'm not) but I'm rather drawn to it.

The image at the top of this post was submitted by Senior IT analyst Burak Agca who "sent in this picture of his 1992-vintage Mac SE. Burak has kept hold of the much-loved Apple for many years, with the intention of turning it into a fish bowl, or 'MacQuarium'..."

Entries can be submitted by uploading a pic to the Flickr Group or uploading a video to Brightcove.

ComputerWeeekly.com has never traditionally gone in for user-generated content of any kind. This is an imaginative first step for them.

Things I like about it:

- Very visual
- Multiple media options - photos / videos
- Back-up for the less technoliterate (email entries)
- What makes the entries really compelling are the stories - why have you kept it? what are you going to do with it?

No comments: